It is normal for Microsoft to delay the appearance of the Dial Pad in Teams for several hours after a user is correctly configured.
The Calls icon and Dial Pad appears in the Microsoft Teams client when a user has the correct ‘phone system’ license and the configuration is completed for the user to make calls.
There are several reasons that can cause the Dial Pad to be absent:
a) The user does not have a phone number applied in the Office 365 admin center
b) The Sync Now action has not been performed since the user was added to the portal.
c) The user does not have a phone system license
d) Insufficient time has elapsed since the user set-up was performed
e) Microsoft Office 365 has an internal error
If the Sync-Now function has completed and the check mark is green. then (a), (b) and (c) above are confirmed by the portal sync service, so should not be the cause of the issue. However, changes can be made on the Microsoft 365 tenant to stop the dial pad showing, so click the Sync Now button again to confirm settings.
Some users have reported that the Teams web-version client can get the dial-pad appearing before the workstation client. To try this, browse to https://teams.microsoft.com/ and select the Web version of Teams
Checking and resolving the above issues:
The user does not have phone number assigned in the Office 365 admin center
The Sync Now feature should apply phone numbers to users in Office 365. If this has not been successful, there is a manual check to ensure the phone number is correctly applied to the user and that this number matches the number assigned in the portal.
Phone Number Assignment
Even though the service assigns a phone number to a Teams user, it’s necessary to use the Legacy Skype for Business portal to verify this has taken place. It is anticipated that Microsoft will migrate this functionality into the new Teams portal in due course.
- First open the Office 365 admin portal, expand the Admin centers menu and click on Teams .
- This will open a new window to the Teams Admin Center. Click Legacy portal to open the old Skype for Business admin center.
- Click the voice menu, click the voice users tab and change the Enabled filter to show All.
- Click on the user to be checked; the user should have a number assigned.
- If the user does not have an assigned number, one can be added. A number added in this Skype for Business Admin Centre will be synchronized in when the next Sync Now activity is performed.
- Click Assign Number. The number assigned does not need to be a real phone number but must match the number configured in this service and must have the international dialing prefix for the country that the user is licensed for. For example, if the user’s extension number is 1003 and they are in the UK then you could use +44 1003 to give a meaningful number.
- It is recommended to also tick International Calling so that all outbound calls reach the customer’s PBX and the customer’s PBX policies can be used to apply restrictions.
The user does not have a Phone System license
To use calling in Teams, you should assign licenses to your users for features like Audio Conferencing and Phone System. This Microsoft article explains how to add these licenses in bulk and for an individual user.
Note: the service configuration means you will be using on-premises PSTN connectivity for hybrid users, so you only need to assign a Phone System license. You should NOT assign a Calling Plan.
Insufficient time has elapsed since the user set-up was performed
Some elements of the configuration within Microsoft Office 365 can be subject to delays of several hours as information propagates between different parts of the Microsoft system. This can vary from day to day, so we recommend that you aim to carry out the configuration at least 48 hours prior to your go-live date to allow for this
The User is running SfB and Teams alongside each other (Islands Mode)
If the user is making use of Skype for Business and Teams this is known as Islands Mode. In this mode Teams cannot apply the Phone System Licence and make use of Direct Routing. This will result in no dialpad being shown and 404 errors when trying to contact the user. There is a Microsoft article which explains this in more detail here: Teams & SfB Coexist & Interop
Microsoft Office 365 has an internal error
When Teams is under heavy load, the various system synchronisation process that make the dial-pad appear can be delayed. Do check the service health dashboard in the Office 365 portal to see if this may be causing delays.
If all the above steps have not fixed the issue, then you may need to remove and re-apply the user’s license with the following process:
- Remove all O365 licenses from the user, wait 15 minutes, then add them back
- Add the phone number back on the user. If the user is not shown in the Skype for Business legacy portal, then wait another 15 minutes and try again
- Delete the user from the service portal and activate the Sync Now process to re-add them.
- Quit Teams (right-click in the task bar and choose ‘Quit’) and start it again
- Wait 30 minutes and Run the Sync Now function again (sometimes when you re-apply licences Microsoft doesn't re-apply the EnterpriseVoiceEnabled $True setting)
- If still no dial pad then wait a while, quit and restart again. Sometimes this works straight away and sometimes it can take up to a day.
Nothing above has worked
If if the 'Sync Now' button has a green check-mark and a reasonable amount of time (24 hours) has elapsed since the Sync Now setup, then the issue should be escalated to Microsoft Support.
To do this,log in to the Office 365 admin portal at https://www.office.com/
Go to the Admin icon
On the left hand side menu bar select "Show All" and the Support option will show,
Create a support request entitled something like "Dial Pad not showing in Teams after 24 hours"
Within the detail of the support request, provide the following details:
- A User email address for one of the users without the dial-pad
- Direct Routing is being used
- Enterprise Voice is enabled for the user
- The Voice Routing Policy is applied to the user
- The User has a valid Phone System licence
From here, Microsoft will make contact to guide through some additional steps and provide guidance on getting the dial-pad to show. They may also be able to force an update at the back end to speed things up.
Providing the green check-mark is in the 'Sync Now' button, everything is set-up on the Office 365 tenant correctly.